Archaeologists digging in the dark

Digging in the Dark

Archaeologists digging in the dark
Digging in the Dark by Wessex Archaeology

It was the Day of Archaeology last Friday. Unfortunately I didn’t get a post in, despite days of archaeology clearly including night sometimes as this photo shows. I had to check I hadn’t already chosen this as a photo of the week, because it’s one I keep coming back to. Usually the aim of a photo is detail, but here the silhouette of the diggers gives it much more drama.

It also reminds me of the dig at Tanis conducted by Prof. Henry Jones Jr. shortly before the Second World War.

Photo: Digging in the Dark by Wessex Archaeology. Licenced under a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA licence.

Published by

Alun Salt

Alun Salt is an ancient historian / archaeologist based in the University of Leicester, UK. His PhD thesis was an archaeoastronomical analysis of Greek temple alignments in Sicily. He also has an MPhil in World Archaeology. His research interests include ancient technology, cosmology and colonisation processes. He is currently dividing his time between a few part-time jobs in the university and at the Annals of Botany.